I finished painting this rug for our patio a few weeks ago, but I wanted to see how it would hold up outside before sharing it here. We've had at least two heavy rains since then and it's holding up great! Unfortunately, heavy rain = fallen leaves, dirt and debris (our patio is, luckily, shaded by some lovely trees). I tried sweeping it off before I took these photos, but I guess I didn't do a very good job. Also, it's the outdoors.
I bought the rug here and cut it to size with a pair of scissors (it's now a 5' x 6'). I picked up a few sample pots of indoor/outdoor paint and painted the rug with a coat of Behr's Canterbury Bells. I had grand plans to use painter's tape to map out my diamonds, but that didn't work at all (the tape wouldn't stick), so I made a template out of cardboard and traced my pattern onto the rug (I did some measuring to make sure my rows were straight-ish, but it was pretty straightforward stuff).
The trickiest part was trying to work the paint into the carpet fibres; I used a small artist's brush for the diamonds, but a stiffer brush would've worked better. I went outside the lines a few times, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out overall. The navy blue is Behr's Very Navy and the white is leftover from our exterior trim. Again, I only did one coat, but two would probably be better.
I realize the speckled light makes it hard to see the diamond pattern (sorry!), but hopefully you get the idea. It was an easy, inexpensive project, and it's a great way to get the rug you want - even if you can't find it in stores. I'm still on the hunt for a little side table to use out here, I just haven't stumbled across "the one" yet. It's starting to look like we'll be finished out here just in time for Fall ;)