12.05.2011

Felted garland and mantle reveal


I finished my felted garland over the weekend! Adam says it looks like an Easter decoration, but it reminds me of a string of Christmas lights. Either way, it's cute and colourful and easy to make. 



I tried the panty hose method (great tutorial here), which basically involves rolling your wool roving into balls by hand, putting them into a pair of panty hose and throwing them in the wash. I ran out of panty hose (you have to cut the balls out when they're done washing, so it's a good way to get rid of tights with runs or holes), so I also tried the hand-rolling method (see here), in which your hands act as the washing machine (think: roll, dip in water, roll, dip, roll, dip, roll, dip, and so on). When the balls were done, I used a large needle to thread them on a piece of twine and I hung them on the mantle using good-'ol-fashioned hot glue.

Rolling the balls by hand is definitely more time-consuming (I actually can't imagine rolling all of these by hand - my arms started to get tired after 5), but I found that you get a much rounder, smoother ball this way. The panty hose method is a lot faster, but the balls tend to come out with creases in them and I found I had to re-work a few of them by hand anyway. So, if you're a perfectionist and you've got time (or you're not making very many balls), I'd recommend the hand-rolling method. If you're making a lot of balls and you don't mind a few imperfections, try the panty hose method.

As you can see, I'm keeping the mantle pretty simple this year, but I put up a few other decorations this weekend (including our tree, which I can't wait to share) that help the room feel more festive. Have you started your Christmas decorating yet?

32 comments:

  1. It looks so sweet Amelia! :) I agree that they look like little Christmas lights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your garland! It is sooo pretty and cheery. The whole mantle looks modern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. total success...look fantastic...your whole room does! come by & enter my giveways this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. Kinda reminds me of DNA................................

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! Can't wait to see your tree!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That garland is so pretty! It reminds me of a cross between Christmas lights and those popcorn strands you used to string up for around the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea @ Strawberry-ChicDecember 5, 2011 at 1:45 PM

    It looks adorable, and I don't think it looks Easter-ish at all! I haven't put up many Christmas decorations this year (except our tree) because I am leaving to go home to WA next week! Thanks for the inspiration, and tutorial links!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally reminds me of the popcorn strands too - the ones with popcorn and cranberries

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, I have no idea where he got the Easter thing from - especially because we've never decorated for Easter ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's adorable! It reminds me of candies, which are fun and festive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amelia I adore the darling garland as well as your wreath!!

    Please Come and enter in My 12 Days of Holiday Giveaways. There are so many exciting & special Gifts! You will love them!

    Tis the Season!

    xoxo

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your garland looks so adorable! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. NK @ StyleING w/ ChildrenDecember 5, 2011 at 11:22 PM

    love the whole look :) and I think the garland is very darling. handmade is best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice! I love the touch of whimsy :)
    Nancy xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kara @ June & BearDecember 6, 2011 at 9:23 AM

    I would love to use these for my tree. Perhaps if I do a little at a time, I'll have them ready next Christmas. I'll definitely try the panty hose method. I think your garland is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so cute! And I LOVE the wreath!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carol@TheDesignPagesDecember 6, 2011 at 1:49 PM

    I just stumbled across your blog and so glad I did. What a great idea for the mantel. I totally agree that it looks like a string of lights

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Carol! I'm a big fan of your blog, so I'm so glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would absolutely recommend the panty hose method if you're making a garland for the tree - that would look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your garland! So unique!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is super pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cristin at SimplifiedbeeDecember 7, 2011 at 4:13 PM

    Gorgeous! I love the colorful felt garland! I am impressed you made it. I bought mine used in this tablescape {http://simplifiedbee.blogspot.com/2011/12/woodland-christmas-table-setting-and.html} on Etsy!

    xo,
    cristin

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great job! I love the garland, such a fun and whimsical part of your mantel decor. Great job! I'll definitely be featuring as one of my favorite picks from the mantel link up : )

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Michelle! You totally just made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Carrie ~ The Corson Cottage I just love this! The garland you created is fabulous! Loving your style. I'm a new follower. I would love for you to shar this at The Corson Cottage for our {Home for the Holidays} link party every Friday in December.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow - what a fun and colorful wall! I love it (: I think the garland looks like candies.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks so much for stopping Carrie - I would love to share it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the felted ball garland! It's very whimsical!

    ReplyDelete
  29. i absolutely love your mantle and garland! i saw it at ten june and it was my face of the features- so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  30. what will cure a fatty liver what will cure a fatty liver what
    will cure a fatty liver

    My homepage :: treating fatty liver disease naturally

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips