12.08.2011

Modern Christmas tree DIY



We're trying out a pared down look this Christmas and our tree is no exception. No watering, no needles to clean up, sounds pretty good, right? One of the trees in our front yard was sprouting a large branch from its base, which wasn't good for the tree, so I asked Adam to cut it off and got the idea that we could use it for a Christmas tree. We trimmed it down so it would fit in our living room, stuck it in a pot, and picked some of my favourite (and lightest) ornaments to hang (yeah, Adam has zero interest in tree decorating, so I was on my own for this part).



I picked up this garbage can over the weekend, thinking that it would make a good planter when the holidays are over. Its filled with leftover peastone from our driveway, which adds some nice weight to the base, holds the branch in place and keeps the whole thing from tipping over. I thought about adding greenery to hide the peastone, but I think I like the clean, contemporary look of the stone. The branch-as-Christmas-tree look isn't for everyone, so it's completely OK if you hate it :)

As you can see in the first picture, I moved a few things around to create a work/craft area behind our sofa. I still need to add a lamp, filing cabinet and style the area (it's pretty much a mess of sewing materials right now - hence the new sofa cushions), but I love having a dedicated work space. Having to clean up whatever project I was working on so we could use our dining table for actual dining got old fast - especially when I didn't clean it up and Adam and I had to eat dinner standing up, which happened more than a few times. Yup, pretty much can't wait to start pinning work areas for inspiring ways to style mine.

Psst...I'm linking up to Megan's Christmas Cheer Link Party today - come check out all the beautiful trees!

Also linked up to...


29 comments:

  1. what a great idea..your tree looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a great idea if you're going for a pared down look! :) You're so resourceful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm no contemporary girl, no siree, but I LOVE this tree! It kind of reminds me of the Charlie Brown tree, but in a totally good way. It's beautiful, fun, and unexpected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Such a fun way to honor the tradition, but save your tree outside as well! Found you through the Christmas Cheer link party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it! I have that garbage can in my bathroom. I really like it and I really like it as a planter too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a neat idea! What are your friends and family thinking of the pared down tree? I'm originally from NB and would imagine that my friends and family would find something like that quite a conversation starter :) I adore it though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is SO awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you have the cutest tree;) loved that. have a Cupcake sweet day!
    http://gonchagoncha.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks so great, and totally suits your space!

    ReplyDelete
  10. NK @ StyleING w/ ChildrenDecember 8, 2011 at 10:23 PM

    I really love this! I wish we had done this BC (before child) :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your tree and the ornaments. It's just gorgeous!! Ha ha...the Charlie Brown tree...that's too funny. This tree looks perfect in your space. Not Charlie Brown at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tree looks great! I agree that it goes perfectly in your space - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for stopping by and becoming a follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good to know - I would definitely use it either way, I love the glossy white and chrome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They've been very kind so far, but my mom did tell me she prefers the traditional evergreen haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that expression - I'm going to start referring to myself that way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute Idea and looks great. Your blog is great too... I just saw your home tour and have to say you guys are doing an amazing job transforming your house. I remember doing just that to our first place...loved every minute of it! ... It's all about the progress!! -just became a follower too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you! You're so right about the progress, I have to remember that! We have some big projects planned for the spring, so it's all about the baby steps until we get to the big, fun stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww I love your idea for a contemporary Christmas tree!! I just do this in my apartment since I don't have much room for a full treat, this is gorgeous! LOVE your blog by the way, I've spent the better part of my day going through your posts :) New follower! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful, such a simple idea, very dot dot dash!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I so need to feature this- really unique and gorgeous. I love the simplicity of it and the whole room. Thanks for linking up:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks so much for becoming a follower Kelly! It's my first time trying such a simple tree, but I'll definitely do it again. I think the plan is to go back to an evergreen next year, but I'd love to do a tabletop tree with branches. I've seen some really pretty ones to display Christmas cards.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's fabulous! Really one of my favourites from the TDC party! Glad to 'meet' a fellow Canadian blogger. I'll be following from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you! And thank you so much for following :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Here from Thrifty DC...love your tree! I used much smaller branches for decorating this year but love your branch much better ;-) T

    ReplyDelete
  26. I totally love it! And while I do have 2 christmas trees. (One in the living room and one in the kids room) I may have to swipe this idea for another room in the house. Maybe on a smaller scale for the kitchen or bathroom would be cute!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips