4.17.2012

Landscaping plans

Adam and I took advantage of last weekend's amazing weather to get some work done outside. This is our second spring in this house, so while last spring was spent doing loads of clean-up and just figuring out what grew where, this year we can start to refine what we have and make plans for what we'd like to have down the road.

Last year we dug two new beds - one in front of the house and a larger one around the side of the house. We added several new plants and mulched both beds. The cost of new plants adds up quickly, so we try to save money by buying later in the season (later in the season = sale time) and choosing plants that come with a guarantee.

This year I knew I wanted to update the beds' shape and add a few more plants to help fill things out. I looked through last year's photos (this is where having a blog comes in handy) and roughly sketched out my plans for this year.


After living here for a year, I have a better idea of which plants will do well where. I also gave some thought to colour, shape, hardiness and general maintenance (I prefer low).

After a quick trip to Kent for some super on-sale black cedar mulch, I started digging out the new shape of the beds while Adam cleaned up the hostas that border our yard and raked up the rest of last year's leaves.


Starting with the large bed around the side of the house, I used my shovel to "mark" the new outline of the bed, then turned over the soil, patted it down with the back of my shovel and covered it with mulch.


{unfortunately the sunshine, though good for the soul, is not so good for photo-documenting}
The new mulch looks darker because it was wet, but once dry, it blends with the exsiting mulch perfectly (we also spread some new stuff around the rest of the bed for good measure).

Here's a better view of how the bed changed shape:

{old bed shape}

{new bed shape}
We have an abundance of large rocks on our property, so I asked Adam to carry a few over to the bed to help fill in the empty spots. The plan is to add new golden euonymous shrubs on either side of the existing one and a new flowering shrub (maybe a goldfinger potentilla?) between our purple smoke bush and blue evergreen.

 

We'll also divide the large blue hosta next to our driveway and transplant it near the two existing hostas (which you obviously can't see yet).
The bed in front of our house also got a shape update. I basically extended it to the end of the walkway and added a little swoop, just for fun.

{old bed shape}

{new bed shape}
And yes, I made Adam move a few more rocks.

The plan for this bed is to dig up that rose bush (it doesn't actually flower and I'm afraid I don't have the gardening skills for roses) and replace it with a Japanese maple. Adam and I both love Japanese maples and always said we wanted to plant one in our future yard. We also have plans to add another holly bush (turns out you need a male and a female for red berries - oops), which will eventually form a nice hedge in front of the juniper (we plan to keep the holly bushes low, while letting the juniper grow nice and tall). And we'll fill up the new section with a couple of shrubs on either side of that lone rock. Right now I'm thinking spireas - we already have one in another part of our yard and love it.


This is only some of what we're planning in terms of landscaping this year, so expect to see more yard updates in future posts. Oh, and I had to share this picture of our dog Maddie hanging out with us while we worked. Rough life, eh?

25 comments:

  1. Elizabeth BaumgartnerApril 17, 2012 at 5:53 PM

    Its going to look great! And I love the picture of Maddie btw.
    Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much work! But it looks amazing!! Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! It's a ton of work, but it feels good to sit back and enjoy it when you're done :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, yes watching us work really tired her out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it all....esp the last pic! I think she is even smiling in her sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha.. I love the photo of Maddie! That's exactly what my dog does when we're working outside. :)

    You've done so much work - it looks great and will be even better when it's filled in. I always hate waiting for gardens to grow. haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahahaha ok - how have I never noticed Maddie before? She is awesome! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! This is a good read. I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about landscaping in your area. I am glad to stop by your site and know more about landscape. Keep it up!
    In recent decades the term environment has gained wide usage. Jay Appleton (see Environmental psychology) distinguished environment from landscape by referring to the latter as "the environment perceived". An advantage which the term environment has over landscape is, as Bourassa noted, that environment can refer more readily to urban scenes although the term urban landscape is also in common usage. As the term environment embraces the total physical, biological, cultural and aesthetic components of an area, it is generally regarded as too broad and encompassing a term for landscape.
    Bill Roberts, the principle owner, oversees each and every project to make sure that all the work is done to his high standards and specifications.

    landscaping Beverly MA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, I see that you were placing a lot of effort into this project. I mean, creating both a plant and vegetable garden is no easy feat! I’ve seen your yard plans, and I have to say I’m impressed that you’ve got almost everything figured out. Well, how are the plants doing six months into the project? :)

    Shona Martinez

    ReplyDelete
  10. Appreciate this post. Let me try it out.
    engineered hardwood floors

    Here is my website - hardwood floor refinishing

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm amazed, I have to admit. Seldom do I encounter a blog that's
    both equally educative and amusing, and without a doubt, you have hit
    the nail on the head. The issue is an issue that not enough people are speaking intelligently about.

    I'm very happy that I stumbled across this during my search for something concerning this.

    Also visit my blog zetaclear nail fungus relief
    Also see my web page :: zetaclear nail fungus relief

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there just wanted to give you a brief heads up and let
    you know a few of the pictures aren't loading properly. I'm not sure why but I think its a linking issue.
    I've tried it in two different internet browsers and both show the same results.

    Feel free to surf to my web-site - renovations
    Also see my webpage: home maintenance Books

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hola! I was curious to know if setting up a website such your own: http:
    //www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=9202098086078199064&postID=4123802971223613426 is tough to do
    for inexperienced people? I have been hoping to create my own blog for a while now but have been turned off mainly because
    I've always assumed it demanded tons of work. What do you think? Regards

    Review my site; furnace brands made by carrier

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am new to building sites and I was wondering if having your blog title relevant to your articles and other
    content really that vital? I notice your title, "Blogger: House Pretty Blog " does seem to be spot on with what your blog is about yet, I prefer to keep my title less
    content descriptive and based more around site branding.
    Would you think this is a good idea or bad idea? Any kind
    of help would be greatly valued.

    Review my web site - find furnished housing
    my page > short term apartment rental boston

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please let me know if you're looking for a author for your site. You have some really great posts and I believe I would be a good asset. If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd really like
    to write some articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to mine.
    Please shoot me an e-mail if interested. Many thanks!

    Here is my blog zetaclear nail fungus relief

    ReplyDelete
  16. Having read this I thought it was rather informative.
    I appreciate you spending some time and effort to put this short
    article together. I once again find myself spending a significant amount of
    time both reading and posting comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!



    Review my blog: http://www.maidbrigade.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know this site provides quality depending posts and other
    information, is there any other web site which presents these things in quality?

    equity calculator

    My blog: highest money market funds

    ReplyDelete
  18. We stumbled over here from a different web address and thought I should check things out.

    I like what I see so i am just following you. Look forward
    to looking into your web page yet again.

    Also visit my web blog; Montre guess

    ReplyDelete
  19. We stumbled over here by a different web address and thought
    I should check things out. I like what I see so now i'm following you. Look forward to looking into your web page again.

    Stop by my website; Nike Air Max

    ReplyDelete
  20. What's up, its nice post about media print, we all know media is a enormous source of facts.

    My blog post - Learn More

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like what you guys are up too. This kind of clever work and reporting!
    Keep up the excellent works guys I've included you guys to my personal blogroll.

    Also visit my web blog - Chaussure De Foot Pas Cher - http://smu-fr.org -

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm extremely inspired together with your writing abilities as well as with the layout to your weblog. Is that this a paid theme or did you customize it your self? Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing, it's uncommon to
    peer a great weblog like this one today..

    Here is my weblog ... Louis Vuitton Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  23. Post writing is also a fun, if you know after that you
    can write if not it is complicated to write.


    Also visit my blog ... Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  24. Post writing is also a excitement, if you be familiar with
    then you can write if not it is complex to write.

    Here is my web page; school of dragons hack

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi,

    Excellent post on nail fungus.

    Here is a health care search engine... http://www.24remedy.com , if you want you can submit your content to include in the search engine.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips